Thursday, December 24, 2020

Finding Joy

I have been thinking about finding joy through art for the last few days, ever since viewing a small exhibit of twenty pieces of art selected for that reason. A cousin has been taking a virtual history of art course through ArtUK (https://artuk.org/); he sent me a link to the exhibit. 

Each course participant selected a piece of art which gave them joy. The course instructor then skillfully found common threads amongst the twenty pieces, and created a curated exhibition with commentary. Here are two samples from the exhibit: 

Bird, by Natasha Light (https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/bird-251793)

The Three Dancers, by John Luke (https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/the-three-dancers-117818)

After viewing the exhibit, I thought about the challenge - and the potential - of finding joy in art around me. 

This year, especially, when we are celebrating the holiday season with far fewer social connections than usual, how do we find joy?

Here is some art I have noticed in my walking around Victoria that has given me little sparks of joy. Sometimes they are small, unconscious things; other times, they are larger public art installations.

Hydro pole, James Bay

Window decoration in James Bay: showing our appreciation of front line workers, in a stained glass motif.

Cook Street Village courtyard - a surprising discovery off the main street.

Beacon Hill Park. A friend noticed this while we were walking. We were both curious about the story behind it, and intrigued by the delicate peacock on the painted rock. As the title of the book by C.S. Lewis said, we were "surprised by joy"!

I enjoy the aesthetics of the design and colours of this scene in front of the James Bay Inn. The formality of the arrangement is broken by the diagonal line of the staircase which gives the whole scene a flow and energy.
 

I have posted this Moss Lady several times. She always gives me joy and tranquility.


One of twelve "Hands of Time" sculptures by Crystal Pryzbille in the Inner Harbour / Beacon Hill Park area. This one is digging camas bulbs. I enjoy the grounding with the earth of these installations paying homage to our ancestors, and the surprise of finding sculpted hands coming out of rock or concrete.


Another of the Hands of Time Sculpture series - "Holding a Mirror"


Metal sculpture along Cook Street. I liked the fluid motion of the piece.

A bike stand outside an apartment building in James Bay. With a few seemingly simple lines, the artist has captured the grace and motion of the cyclist.


Another front yard art installation that captures movement and energy amongst a bed of attractive perennials. This installation is in Fairfield.

I like the surprise of finding these bright salmon on a set of stairs off Dallas Road. The colourful red mosaic tile contrasts with the grey of the beach stone, the concrete, and the ocean. 

One of the threads in the UK art show I mentioned at the beginning was the joy of movement. This sculpture, on the Inner Harbour in Victoria, speaks to that. Both the swimmer and the dolphins are full of joy in their evident playfulness.

Sometimes it is the subtle things that catch me.

This mermaid is easy to miss, in Fishermen's Wharf Park. I liked her grace.

A star compass at Fishermen's Wharf Park. I liked the subtle way it has been worked into the walkway.


Joy and gratitude - so closely linked.

Finally, since we are spending much time within our homes during this time of limited outside connection, I will finish this exploration with several pieces of art from our home that give me joy.



The camera could not adequately capture the colour or beauty of this unique bowl, by Quebecois potter Francois Labissonniere. Its starburst centre of pink is a delight. Part of the joy I associate with it that it was a gift from my daughter, from her years in Quebec.


I appreciate the curved lines, contrasting textures and shimmering glaze of this vase which came from Germany (potter unknown).

Detail from a painting of Arrow-leaved Balsam Root by Armstrong painter Eileen Sawracki. I like the way the painter has captured the fluid motion of life - the flowers could be moving in the wind, or they could be moving through their life journey. 


My final tribute to "Joy" is this small print of a drawing done with coloured pencils by Nakusp artist Donna Marko. Ken and I met Marko a few years ago at the market in Nakusp where she was selling her work. She spoke about her decision to raise the profile of coloured pencils by working with this medium.

This rooster, which lives in my kitchen, greets me every day with a cheery good morning. 


May you find joy during this time of transition and seasonal change.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Sarah. We are surrounded by beauty. What a good way to raise our spirits.

    ReplyDelete

Message from Sarah: Thank you for your comment. It will be published after moderation.