Thursday, October 22, 2020

Frosty Morning in Panama Flats


Yesterday morning I found myself walking the trails of Panama Flats early before the sun was above the horizon. These flats lie along the Colquitz River which flows from Beaver Lake to the north, to Portage Inlet in the south. They are about 10 km north (a 20 minute drive) from where we live in James Bay, 

Panama Flats shown in relation to our home in James Bay (source: Google Maps)

I was surprised how much frost was on the ground. When I left James Bay the temperature was around 7C. The moderating effect of the ocean around us on three sides accounted for some of that difference. Plus, Panama Flats is a low-lying area where frost might sink.

When the sun rose, I took a few images of the frost on leaves before it disappeared. 













Panama Flats used to be a privately owned farm, and was bought by the municipality of Saanich several years ago. 

Panama Flats floods seasonally, and because of this, is a stop-over for migratory birds. I found several documents online which list the many species, and numbers, of birds observed there over the years. Here is a link to one: http://rpbo.org/reports/surv_2013_pafl.pdf

There is a perimeter trail, and a gravel cycling path, part of the Colquitz River Trail.

The gravel cycling / walking path of the Colquitz River trail. The caution sign on the left warns people about seasonal flooding.


A connecting path from the Colquitz River trail to Colquitz River park.


There are other pedestrian trails through the central area of the park. Early in the morning I encountered a variety of users - dogwalkers, cyclists heading to school, and people observing the waterfowl in the wet area. In one of the documents I found online, the argument was made that dogs should be kept to the perimeter area, so that the extensive birdlife can use the central area undisturbed.

There is also a proposal to return the central area to agriculture, for food security / sustainability purposes. Usually the central area dries up over the summer, so that it can be farmed. I imagine there would have to be clearing of shrubbery that has grown around the ponds if the area were to be farmed again, so inevitably there would be some loss of habitat. While I endorse the concept of food security and sustainability, natural areas for wildlife are diminishing. Based on my quick research and visit, I think the entire area should be managed for wildlife.

Morning light on one of the ponds. What appears to be a thin film of ice is actually algae.

There is a diversity of vegetation in the central area, although I did not spend any time identifying it. 


One of the walking trails in the central area


I was intrigued by the lichen hanging from this tree


There appear to be many invasive plants in the Panama Flats, from my quick walk through.

One of the weeds I encountered along the trail


I enjoyed the brisk walk in the morning, although being spoiled with the quiet of James Bay I did notice the constant hum of distant traffic from surrounding roadways.

Panama Flats is a valuable open space in Saanich, worth exploring more.



1 comment:

Message from Sarah: Thank you for your comment. It will be published after moderation.