Sunday, October 18, 2020

Seeing with New Eyes

Postings to my blog are scarce these days, as my time is diverted into my book project. I now have a first draft of the book completed! It's a memoir about a ten-year period when I lived on Gardom Lake, over twenty years ago.

Here are some random images from walking breaks around James Bay and elsewhere.

I begin with a poster for an upcoming exhibit about Emily Carr at the Royal BC Museum. I liked the choice of language: "fresh seeing".  It applies to so much of life! We need to see with new eyes - our ways of living in the world, the things we assume cannot be changed.


Upcoming Exhibit at the Museum


Statue of Emily Carr, across from the museum.


Thanks to the inspiration from Carr, I have been exploring seeing my world of James Bay with fresh eyes. 

Here are a few images.

Rocks exposed by low tide, below Dallas Road

Kelp left on the rocks, below Dallas Road

Kelp blown into a bay along Dallas Road by a recent windstorm



Debris strewn over the new bike path along Dallas Road after the same storm

Interesting, and attractive, plants along a sidewalk in James Bay


I have been enjoying looking closely at plants.

Arbutus tree

Bracket Sulfur Fungus (Laetiporus sulphureus). The colloquial name is "chicken of the woods"; apparently if you cook it right, and cook the edible parts, it can be a vegetarian substitute for chicken.



Boulevard garden festooned with miniature banners


One of the many Little Libraries scattered throughout Victoria


Image of a Little Library taken earlier in the spring. In this one the books inside can be seen.


A display at Carr House. I liked the passionate language describing Carr's experience of being carried away by wonder. (See blown up words which follow).







This is a puzzle I have not solved. The shrubbery appears to be growing out of the rock!


Detail of the trunks appearing to grow out of rocks

I am still enjoying finding art in my walks about town.

Found at the Chinese Cemetery



Nautical-themed public art at Willows Beach


Another attractive piece of public art at Willows Beach. This moves with the wind, as well as catching light.

Fresh painting done at the cruise ship terminal this summer for the sidewalk. Few sets of feet have walked these flowers though, due to Covid 19.


In my walks around James Bay recently, it's been hard not to notice this huge freighter moored at Ogden Point. The low thrum of its motors can be heard over quite a distance.

Three tugboats worked to keep the freighter pushed against the dock until it was completely moored. This freighter may seem huge to me, but when a giant cruise ship comes in, this will seem small by comparison.


Walking about the area is always good for seeing my writing with new eyes when I return to it.

And of course, because it is a memoir, I am seeing a hectic and challenging period of my life with the perspective afforded by time and distance.

Here, as a teaser, is my "work in progress" title and cover.

Work in progress






4 comments:

  1. Very interesting and descriptive with a feeling of invitation to explore your walks. Good for you Sarah!! Love & Hugs, Bernie ♥️💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bernie! I love that you feel invited to explore with me! Hugs back to you.

      Delete
  2. RocketRod loves your blog. You’re observant, patient, gentle, evocative and an excellent photographer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rod! I enjoy being out in the world, observing its wonders, and then sharing my thoughts back.

      Delete

Message from Sarah: Thank you for your comment. It will be published after moderation.